Marketing Yourself

December 9, 2008 at 4:42 pm 2 comments

Since I studied (and work in) marketing communication, I have a different perspective on job hunting than an HR person or even the average job applicant. Looking for a job, much like dating, is about marketing yourself. The more competition there is, the more important it is to differentiate yourself from the pack.

When I came across Michael Driehorst’s latest blog post on Talent Zoo today, I immediately knew I had to share his thoughts with you. Michael is a PR professional that’s currently out-of-work. He’s a blogger (check out his blog: Mike’s Points) with some great insights into how you can market yourself in a job search much like advertisers and public relations professionals market their clients’ brands.

Here are some excerpts from his post:

1. It’s what you know AND who you know

  • People aren’t hired just by his or her resume.
  • The hiring process is subjective – you’re judged by the way you look, present yourself, sound, answer questions
  • You can’t know about every job opportunity – that’s where networking comes into play

2. Typing a poor substitute for real communication

  • It’s easy for written/typed words to be misconstrued
  • Take care to be clear and concise when you write cover letters and thank you notes
  • Consider how social media can help your job search – blogging, Twitter, forums3. Look outward

3. Look outward

  • Look for ways to add value to your prospective employer by sharing insights and information
  • Reach out to your network of friends, family and acquaintances to help others find careers and business opportunities

4. Timing is everything

  • Keep looking for a job, even when you’re discouraged
  • Build relationships with prospective employers you’ve already spoken with and your network –  in case a new position opens up, you’ll already be on their mind

5. Have faith

  • Be confident in your abilities
  • Be honest and ethical in your approach
  • Remain persistent in your search
  • Continue to build connections
  • Help others
  • Your time will come

Entry filed under: cover letter, Interview, Interview Follow-up, resume. Tags: , , , , , , , .

What to Wear to an Informal Interview Make a fashion statement with your resume

2 Comments Add your own

  • 1. Michael  |  December 15, 2008 at 1:27 am

    Nice post. I think the marketing approach you described is a better strategy than the classic, and redundant, electronic approach through Monster, the Ladders etc., which is what most everyone is doing.

    Reply
    • 2. colleenjaycox  |  December 15, 2008 at 2:52 am

      Thanks, Mike! I once read that only 20% of jobs are every posted online or in the newspaper. The other 80% of opportunities come through personal networks. In addition to looking at commercial job posting web sites like Monster or CareerBuilder, it’s important to check individual company sites, recruiter sites and talk to people you know and have them spread the word, of course.

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed



%d bloggers like this: